UAE Property: Can a Landlord Raise the Rent by Any Amount?

2 Bedroom apartment for sale in Burj khalifa | Full Fountain view

Question: My landlord recently passed away, and now a rental company manages his properties. They sent me a notice stating that my next rent will be Dh65,000 per year, marking an increase of 46%. Is the rental company legally allowed to impose this increase? Please advise. — NA, Dubai.

Read this also : Dubai Leads the Middle East with 72,500 Millionaires

Answer: Before I address your question, I need to clarify a few points. By saying your landlord expired, do you mean he passed away, or is he still the owner while a rental company now manages the properties? Do they have the power of attorney to act on behalf of the landlord? Have you seen any documents proving they can handle his properties?

In any event, rent increases must adhere to specific procedures. First, the notification of the rent change must be communicated in writing (email is acceptable), giving you at least 90 days’ notice. The actual increase in rent is determined by the Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA) rental calculator, not solely at the discretion of the landlord or rental company.

The law stipulates that the maximum rent increase in a single year is 20%, and this is only permitted if the rental calculator or Decree 43 of 2013 allows for it. Therefore, the rental company cannot request a 46% increase at renewal.

Read this also : Aldar Launches Athlon, Dubai’s First ‘Active Living’ Community

Question: I rented out my apartment in 2019 for Dh75,000. During the Covid-19 pandemic, my tenant insisted on reducing the rent to Dh50,000 and refused to move. Due to personal circumstances, I agreed.

Later, I tried not to renew the lease, but my tenant filed a case with RERA and renewed at Dh50,000 last year. He wants to renew at Dh55,000 now, but I have asked for Dh68,000 as he needs to pay chiller fees that have been unpaid throughout the period.

He has also refused to pay the DEWA bill, which now stands at over Dh4,000. Furthermore, he hasn’t paid chiller fees, accumulating Dh100,000 in arrears.

Read this also : Emirates to Shift Operations to Al Maktoum Airport in a Single Move by 2034

Can you advise me on how to contact the Rental Dispute Settlement Committee? The tenant has damaged the apartment and denied me access. He also refuses to provide his visa page, preventing me from contacting his employer. Additionally, he has sublet the apartment’s parking. — SH, Dubai

Answer: Given your situation, I recommend filing a case with the rental committee to resolve the matter and close this chapter.

You can file a case online or in person. Although online applications are more convenient, you may have questions, so visiting the center in Deira to speak directly with them is advisable.

Read this also : SHA Emirates Residences Launches on Al Jurf Island, UAE

Regardless of your chosen method, filing a case will cost 3.5% of the rental amount in fees. However, this cost is often (but not always) refunded to you if you win the case.

To file online, visit the Dubai Land Department’s official website or download the Dubai Rest app. Go to the rent dispute resolution portal page, fill out the necessary information, upload the documents to obtain a judgment with an execution writ seal, and pay the fees online.

Alternatively, you can visit the Rental Dispute Settlement Committee (RDSC) at the Land Department building in Deira. Typing centers and translation services are available, as the documents need to be in Arabic. The staff can guide you through the process step by step.

Join The Discussion

Compare listings


Sign-Up Now